Monday, February 16, 2015

My move that almost is and #amwriting

Last week we learned that the renter in the house we have an offer on has agreed to move out by March 30. Hopefully she doesn't have another trick up her sleeve or do anything to sabotage the property on her way out. Sadly, one lesson learned is that people who live by handouts soon expect those handouts and truly believe they are owed a living without lifting a finger. This lady has been given several options to make this move easy, but she wouldn't take them because they didn't put her in her $800k dream property where she can properly entertain her donors. And even sadder is that she believes she will someday get this dream property because some divorcee will donate her enough money to buy it when her divorce is final. I'm afraid that's probably a pipe dream, words that sounded good to the potential donor at the time, but unlikely to come through, at least in that magnitude.

All I can say is that I am so looking forward to moving into this property that's perfect for me and my husband and my mom, and our 5 horses. Sooner would have been better, but I'll be patient.

And in the meantime, I'm trying to find some writing time and motivation. I've got a MG sci-fi that I've been sending to agents with little success. Of course that leads to the monster question - is it the query, the pages, the topic? Several kids have read it and begged for more, so that gives me hope. But the interesting thing is that someone from a contest accidentally re-sent feedback from a year-old entry. I read the judges responses as if they were new - and one sentence caught my eye. I don't know if I'd missed it, dismissed it, or just been overwhelmed at the time.

But this time, that single sentence gave me an idea that will not only make some of the story-line clearer, it will make the query and synopsis stronger. It's small, just a nuance. But it's also huge! I'm working the concept through the ms now, then I'll be on the query trip again. Wish me luck.

Have you every had inspiration strike from an unexpected, accidental direction? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment